Special Collections in the History of Medicine
Hudson County Medical Club
Records, 1921-1960 w/gaps
December 1989; Revised July 2004
The Hudson County Medical Club was formed in 1960 as an amalgamation of three former medical clubs: Jersey City Practitioners, Jersey City Practitioners and Surgeons, and Aesculapian Clubs, the earliest of which dates from 1851 when the Hudson County Medical Society was founded. The Hudson Medical Club is but one of many similar organizations established in New Jersey on the local or county level. Minutes of the monthly meetings of these clubs reveal many scientific achievements, and the reading of these minutes is actually a history of modern medicine in the state. As of 1989, the Hudson County Medical Club celebrated its 84th anniversary and thirty physicians were still active members.
Scope and Content Note
The records of the Hudson County Medical Club date from 1921 to 1960, with gaps. The records comprise minutes, rosters, a brief history of the Jersey City Practitioners Club and other historical writings, and a constitution and by-laws for the Jersey City Practitioners and Physicians and Surgeons Club. Minutes and records are filed first, followed by material in an alphabetical arrangement.
Size of Collection: .50 l.f.
Provenance: Gift of Kenneth Judy, MD, on behalf of the Hudson County Medical Club, December 18, 1989.
|Box Number||Folder Number||Contents|
|1||1||Minutes, Records, Rosters. October 18, 1921- May 1946. 1 Vol.|
|2||Minutes, Records, Rosters. May 1942-October 15, 1959. 1 Vol.|
|3||"Comments on the initial action required for the N.J. first approved medical school," 1937, 1947.|
|4||Jersey City Practitioners Club. History, 1898-1928.|
|5||Judy, Kenneth, MD "History of Medicine in Jersey City," n.d.|
|6||Judy, Kenneth, MD & Dominick Mauriello, MD "Brief History of Medicine in New Jersey", n.d.|
|7||Practitioners and Physicians and Surgeons Club. Constitution & Bylaws, Roster and Attendance Record, 1942.|
|8||"The Samuel A. Cosgrove Memorial Resolution Presented at the New York Obstetrical Society", May 9, 1960.|
Lois R. Densky-Wolff
For reference service and information contact:
FAX (973) 972-7474